Wednesday, March 31, 2010


Nothing like a deadline to bring out the procrastinator in me. I was ironing T-Shirts, bundling wash cloths, tagging items and jotting down an inventory list this morning at 6:30am. For no other reason than the fact that I haven't been managing my time well over the last few days. The good news is that I got it all done before I had to go to work. I had a four o'clock appointment to go down to
Sisters We Three in Newburyport and drop off new tutus and some additional inventory for the shop. Of course it's still raining here and many of the nearby rivers crested this afternoon, leaving lots of roads flooded. Which causes school busses to run late, which in turn leaves me running out of school and putting pedal to the metal to get to the shop on time. I hate running late and all the anxiety that it brings with it.

But when I arrived breathless, I was greeted by smiles and welcomes and immediately calmed down. After chatting with the ladies and showing them the goodies that I brought in,
I had a chance to see my work on display. And it was really exciting. Everything looked so bright and cheerful; it all made me smile. One of the shop owners had placed my mini pins in
mini flower pots, which I thought looked so darling and appreciated that someone other than myself had put care into my work! It was really quite sweet.

After finishing up the paperwork and saying goodbye, I decided to treat myself to some yarn shopping before heading back north. I used my trusty iPhone to google "Newburyport, knitting" and was directed to this great little shop called A Loom With A View. As I walked to my car, there was a terrible rumbling that brought many shop keepers out onto the sidewalks. We all looked up and saw three, very low flying helicopters and quickly realized that they were carrying President Obama to Maine where he is scheduled to give a speech. A minute or two later, a forth helicopter flew overhead, just to confirm that it really was Marine One. You might think that I had the common sense to get my camera out and take a photo, but you'd be wrong.

Anyway, back to the yarn store. I knew it was going to be a good one before I even walked in. It just had that feeling about it. And let me tell you, it did not disappoint. Walls of yarn, lovely handknit items, books, needles, and an entire second room filled with looms of all sizes. They were gorgeous!! I had the opportunity to chat with three women, including the owner while I was there. It started as idle chit-chat about the weather (because that is the topic up here in New England) and then it moved on to why I was in town. When I told them about the shop, they had the kindest words to say about how proud I should be. It was exactly the confirmation that I needed at that time. Because sometimes good news is hard to take and easy to talk yourself out of. Hearing those words from a stranger reminded me how grateful and proud I really am.

Now I am back home and feeling relieved to have the weight of a deadline off my shoulders. I think some reality tv and knitting is in order for the evening ahead.


Creative Minds said...

those are awesome!
love your blog

Additionsstyle said...

Sounds like a adventurious day. I know what you mean, I always do things at the last minute too.